IFS report slams impact of budget

//

From ITV News about the IFS report released today.

Posted by Job Seekers U.K on Thursday, 9 July 2015

Advertisements

#budget, #cuts, #george-osborne, #ifs, #welfare-cuts

Welfare cuts deaths: 60,000 demand Government reveal how many people died after being found ‘fit for work’


The following article was written by Dan Bloom for Mirror Online. Click here for original.


Tens of thousands of people are calling on the Government to reveal how many benefits claimants died after being found fit for work.

003

The government is refusing to release the figures despite being ordered to by a watchdog.

A searing ruling by the Information Commissioner said chiefs had acted unreasonably after not publishing any figures for 3 years.

But instead of giving in, the Department for Work and Pensions is fighting its own watchdog to get the decision overturned.

Furious benefits campaigners now want to know what the government is trying to hide.

Retired welfare advisor Maggie Zolobajluk, 63, launched a petition which 60,000 people signed in a few days.

The pensioner told Mirror Online she was left in despair after watching how Government welfare cuts hit her clients in Sutton, Surrey.

“Why doesn’t Iain Duncan Smith want to publish these figures?” she said. “It gives the impression he’s got something to hide.”

Ms Zolobajluk worked for the Citizens’ Advice Bureau for 7 years while the Government  were introducing their welfare reforms.

The changes saw some people told to find work despite having chronic illnesses – some of whom died before getting their benefits back.

Tragic Mark Wood starved to death in David Cameron’s constituency four months after his benefits were cut – weighing just 5st 8lbs when he was found.

And ex-nurse Jacqueline Harris, 53, took her own life after she was ruled fit to work despite having slipped disks in her back and severe pain.

Ms Zolobajluk said: “I could see what was happening in the community. It was so predictable. These cuts came in and left people feeling helpless.

“People are being penalised if they appeal because they have to go on jobseeker’s and it’s a merry-go-round while they wait.

“I’d have people who’d come in because they’d been thrown off the housing register because they weren’t deemed as overcrowded despite living in a house with nine adults.

“The pressure we were under as volunteers, the number of people coming who you could no longer help – it was awful.

“I got quite upset about it. If I see something I have to say what I feel.

“I don’t like bullies, and I don’t like seeing people in situations where there’s nothing I can do to help them.”

The request to release the figures was made under the Freedom of Information Act by campaigner Mike Sivier.

He asked how many people who died between November 2011 and May 2014 had been found ‘fit for work’, or told they could move towards getting work.

The DWP refused his request because chiefs said they were already preparing to publish the information in their own time, and it’d be unfair to rush them.

But Information Commissioner Christopher Graham ruled: “It is not reasonable for the DWP, having had enough time to extract the information and prepare internally for publication, to seek further time to provide the information.

“The previous statistics published were around 2 years old at the time of the request.”

He ordered civil servants to publish the data within 35 days of his ruling on April 30.

Instead the department has appealed to an information tribunal, as the Mirror detailed last week .

Ms Zolobajluk’s petition asks the tribunal to refuse the request and force Iain Duncan Smith’s department to publish the data.

The last benefit death figures in 2012 showed 80 people had died within six weeks of being told they could move towards finding work.

A DWP spokesman declined to say why chiefs are appealing the verdict.

She added: “It’s irresponsible to suggest a causal link between the death of an individual and their benefit claim”.

KK


Edited slightly to remove some political bias.


#austerity, #benefits, #benefits-street, #cut, #cuts, #david-cameron, #deaths, #disability, #disabled, #dla, #esa, #fit-for-work, #george-osborne, #iain-duncan-smith, #jsa, #pip, #sanction, #sanctions, #wca, #welfare-cuts

The onslaught of child benefit welfare propaganda continues- The UN TV Guide 12/06/15

Benefits, babies and Jail, 5*, 4pm

This afternoon Five Star are showing a programme called ‘ Benefits, babies and jail’ in their now dedicated to welfare propaganda 4pm slot. Apparently this is episode three of six, but I like most other people don’t watch Channel 5, let alone it’s spin off channels, so I was unaware they had this abundance of welfare propaganda programming.

I mean, sure the main channel has ‘Skint’ and ‘ On Benefits And Proud’ but this seems to be a hidden attempt at hiding away propaganda on an obscure channel on a daily basis. Of course, like Channel 5, Five Star is owned by Viacom and set up by the Government so any such things shouldn’t come as a shock. Upon reading the synopsis it actually sounds like it is on the peoples side but it won’t be.

The title alone, linking benefit claimants and their children to jail is already a misjudged stereotype and this is Channel 5 after all.  It’s continuing the week long narrative of ‘ child benefit cuts will be justified’ despite Birmingham Mail reporting today that 900,000 families in the West Midlands alone will be pushed into poverty by the cuts.  Instead of watching this show JSUK recommends staring out of the window and looking up at the sky wondering why we got into this state and organizing a local anti cuts protest.

For comparison of the point I’m trying to make, imagine if say, BBC TWO ran these shows every afternoon, it would be very obvious that it was all propaganda and complaints would follow. This seems to be more of an attempt to catch ‘ channel flickers’ and brainwash them than being out there for all to see.

Three afternoons in a row Channel 5* have shown shows about large families living on benefits. As we know these are the rarest of the rare and as usual the media is using the minuscule minority to justify the upcoming cuts. This got me thinking- are cuts to child benefit going to be announced on July 8th despite a government official claiming they wouldn’t be cut until 2020? Of course nothing is certain until the day of the ’emergency budget’ but if past experiences with propaganda on the TV are to go by, cuts usually follow.

Leaked DWP memos show DWP execs have been looking into the impact of cutting child benefit for the first child and limiting it to two children only. So the cuts will happen, it’s just a matter of when.

5* also wins the JSUK twatbag channel of the week award. For obvious reasons.

220px-Channel_5_Star.svg

Five star, see the star is also an Illuminati symbol,

but that’s just conspiracy of course…

#admin, #bankers, #banks, #benefits, #child-benefit, #cut, #cuts, #george-osborne, #harrasment, #iain-duncan-smith, #jobcentre, #propaganda, #protest, #tax-credit

Protest outside George Osborne annual speech to bankers

A small number of protesters from the campaign group ‘ Robin Hood Tax’ have appeared outside Mansion House in London as George Osborne prepares to give his annual speech to  senior bankers.  They are protesting stating that banks ‘ should not be let off the hook.’

Earlier on in the day The Telegraph quoted George Osborne as stating ‘we’ve hit banks hard enough.’

One has to assume that the same can’t be said for the poor and disabled as George is expected to announce the next round of £12bn welfare cuts on the 8th July.

#bankers, #banks, #george-osborne, #protest